Tuesday 2 March 2010

Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania



Today, we leave for Dar es Salaam. It's an eight hour drive away. We stop at a shopping centre on the edge of the city. It's the first piece of modern civilization we've seen in weeks.

Soon we see the Indian Ocean. It's a contrast to the plains of the Masai Mara and Serengeti. We stay at a beach camp tonight. I choose to upgrade from my tent, to a beach hut for a few dollars. No more tent assembling on this trip!. Something which I'll both miss and enjoy. The beach camp is pretty, with white sand and it has coconut trees at the edge. I go for a swim in the ocean. The water is warm. Amazing. While I write this, I'm now outside at the candlelit bar with my sketch book beneath a starry sky. Led Zeppelin's Rock n' Roll plays in the background. I make my way across the sands to the beach hut. I see a man holding a large gun. Phew, he's just there for our protection. His dark skin blends in with the night. I briefly got a fright when I saw him first in the moonlight. I find a huge millipede in the beach hut. I carefully coax it into the waste paper basket. I take it away from my hut. JUST as I'm giving it it's new found freedom, away from my bed, a couple return to their beach hut... and they see me outside their hut with a bin and a giant millipede (which is now casting an even larger shadow thanks to the beach camp's outdoor lighting) all looking very suspicious indead. I wish them good night and make a quick get away. Tomorrow we leave for Zanzibar.

No comments:

Post a Comment